Coast Mountains School District 82 is pleased to provide the opportunity to the families of Bear Valley, Kildala Elementary, Kitwanga Elementary and Suwilaawks Community Schools with “free access” to the Summer Reading Boost Program. School District 82 purchased licenses for these schools to access this program featuring Dr. Janet Mort and the Joyful Literacy Teacher Team. The Summer Reading Boost Program was created in partnership with SD 91 (Nechako Lakes) due to the growing concern with the negative impact the COVID-19 pandemic has had on early learners … with summer looming, they knew for many struggling children the gaps will continue to grow.
This home-based program comprises 10 videos (video titles provided below) that instructs parents how to teach and practice Foundational Skills (K to 3). Each video is supported with a handout package of over 100 games, activities, read-aloud strategies and checklists from Janet Mort’s new book “Parent Power: You can teach your child to read!” All games and activities are designed to be productive, playful and fun for the whole family. We invite parents/guardians to use the program all summer long and throughout the next school year.
This series of ten 20-minute videos can be easily streamed online by parents for playful practice activities with important Foundational Skills all summer long. You can also download the videos for offline viewing. Each video is accompanied by a package of handouts that include instructions, games and activities for each video topic.
Video Titles include (package handouts for each video provided below):
- Alphabet Crazy Fun 1: My Family Teaches Me My ABC’s
- Alphabet Crazy Fun 2: Games, Practice and Celebrations
- Phonemic Play 1: Learning to read in the dark?
- Phonemic Play 2: Tricking Our Ears!
- Superpower Sight Words 1: One Two Three – READ!!!
- Superpower Sight Words 2: Practice, Play and Performance
- Come-alive Reading: It’s party-time reading in my home.
- Echo and Repeated Reading: I read just like you.
- Reading Buddies: Teaching Me, Loving Me and Reading with Me
- Writing Buddies: My Pen, Your Pen, Our Pen
How to Access the Video Series:
- Click on the “Video Showcase Link” provided below.
- Enter the password provided below in the “Enter Password” box and click the “Submit” button.
- You will now have access to stream the video series online, or download individual videos to view them offline (see instructions below).
Video Showcase Link:
Package Handouts with Instructions, Games and Activities for each Video Topic:
- INSTRUCTIONS_Accessing the Video Bundle and Downloading Videos
- Handouts_Video 1-2_Joyful Literacy Family Summer Literacy Boost
- Handouts_Videos 3-4_Joyful Literacy Family Summer Literacy Boost
- Handouts_Videos 5-6_Joyful Literacy Family Summer Literacy Boost
- Handouts_Videos 7-8_Joyful Literacy Family Summer Literacy Boost
- Handouts_Videos 9-10_Joyful Literacy Family Summer Literacy Boost
Questions about the Parent Power Summer Literacy Boost? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.